Friday, March 09, 2007

Final Salute

Okay. Captain America is dead. I doubt the Simon and Kirby creation will disappear forever, The character has always changed with the political climate. He was at times a commie-basher, a nomad without a country and a weapon against terror. The problem I have with the news of his death is the dopey storyline that brought him there.

I have been reading the current Captain America series since issue one. The stories have been very good and well drawn, but I gave up on the book when the Civil War storyline started. If you don't know it, the Civil War plot is about having persons with superpowers register with the government. Some Heroes are for it and some are against it. Nice enough idea, but I knew things were heading south when Spider-Man registered and disclosed his secret identity.

The whole Civil War storyline saddens me because it seems like the inmates are running the asylum at Marvel right now. No one seems to be protecting the characters for future readers and the writers have more power than they should. I read a NYTimes articlethat had a quote the publisher Dan Buckley. He said "Sometimes stories just take you places" Maybe he's right. But killing Captain America takes me somewhere I don't want to go.

1 comment:

Allen Gladfelter said...

Yet another intelligence failure by S.H.I.E.L.D.. How many more screwups must we endure before Bush fires Executive Director Nicholas Fury?