Saturday, May 05, 2007

Meltdown Comics Sucks


On April 1st 2001, I was the first in line at a new Comic shop on Sunset Blvd. in LA. Meltdown Comics moved to a new location about a block away from the old location. I enjoyed shopping at the old location and I looked forward to the bigger, better store. I guess I had nothing going on that day, so i was the first person in line. Good deal, because the first 100 customers would get all kinds of cool stuff. Well, I waited and it the doors opened... But no stuff.

The manager at that time told everyone in line that a shipment was delayed in customs and all the neat Japanese stuff would not be there. Yes, I was disappointed, but the Manager wrote me a raincheck on the back of the flyer.

'#1/100 entitled to bag of Planet X toys' and a signature at the bottom. when I would visit the shop I would ask about it, but no one had an answer for me. I decided to go elsewhere for my comics. I felt ripped off!

That was six years ago and I kept the document.

Today, my friend Tricia Hale is promoting her TOKYOPOP book Grand Theft Galaxy at Meltdown Comics. I have not been to that place since the 'ripoff', but I wanted to support a friend. I brought the document with me. Trish was not there, but I asked for the Manager. A older guy who said he was the brother of the owner looked at it and listened to my story. His response was "I don't know what I can do for you...Good seeing that though." he went back to what he was doing. I got pissed and left.

So that's it. No more Meltdown. Meltdown Comics Sucks.

What's that?

I said, Meltdown Comics Sucks.

2 comments:

T Riley said...

I was there, I just didn't get there until 3:30 because they told me I didn't need to come for the full signing. I'm sorry that I missed you and you had such a bad experience with them:(

Brian Buccellato said...

awesome story...

I love that you posted a jpeg of the flyer.

rock on don!